Sunday, March 1, 2009

What You Want and Do Not Have

When you want something that you cannot have, you must either change what you want or change what you have in order to avoid falling into despair over impossible possibilities.

But what if what you want is something that you should want? What if it's something that you need, even, in order to continue to progress in God's great plan of happiness? What then? You wanting it is supposed to be a good thing, but then it's something that you want but you still don't have, and you want and you still don't have, and you still don't have, and you still don't have and you start to wonder if maybe you should change what you want, because what you have sure isn't going to change anytime soon.

That is why I choose to not think about it at all, most of the time. And thankfully, the gospel is so big and vast that it is possible to ponder many of life's mysteries without contemplating what you want and do not have.

I could write pages more on this subject, but I don't want to. Thus this is the end.

4 comments:

ol' Bob said...

Much of this concern also depends on whether the acquisition of what you want is within your ability to control or whether you are dependent on someone else's choices.

I'm really good at stating the obvious, no? I don't suppose it makes the wanting any less frustrating.

whirligigdaisy said...

Yikes. I feel this way about a few things. Even though I have so many other things that I know others want and don't have. So should I give up and just be grateful for what I do have that I always wanted?

Probably.

Tina said...

"Thus, this is the end." Of the blog? Really? So soon?

Unknown said...

You should continue to desire these things, but be able to contain that desire within reasonable bounds that allow you to remember the many other blessings that you have received. This prevents the despair cycle you mentioned.